VOX CAPE TOWN PRESENTS
NORTHERN LIGHTS: A BALTIC VOYAGE
“The whole sky was one glowing mass of coloured flames, so mighty, so brave! Like a pathway of light, the northern lights seemed to draw us into the sky…”
Based on our immersive performances from September last year, this album features a smorgasbord of contemporary choral composers from the Baltic region including Arvo Pärt (Estonia), Ola Gjeilo (Norway), Igor Stravinsky (Russia), Ēriks Ešenvalds (Latvia), Jaakko Mäntyjärvi (Finland) and Henryk Górecki (Poland).
Appropriately, the album launch coincided with VOX Cape Town’s performance entitled “In The Dark :: Góreck/Glass” in which they sang several choral works by Górecki including “Totus Tuus”, a hearty Polish folk song (“Broad Waters”) and two sublime lullabies.
This limited-edition disc, which also features guest instrumentalists Ariella Caira (cello), Matthew Golesworthy (piano) and Cherilee Adams (percussion), is accompanied by illuminating programme notes written by Owen Rogers.
- My Soul, There Is A Country C. Hubert H. Parry (1848-1918, England)
- Totus Tuus (‘Wholly Thine’) Henryk Górecki (1933-2010, Poland)
- The Ground Ola Gjeilo (b. 1978, Norway) with Ariella Caira (cello) and Matthew Golesworthy (piano)
- O Salutaris Hostia (‘O Salutary Victim’) Ēriks Ešenvalds (b. 1977, Latvia) with Stephanie Pulker and Jenni van Doesburgh (soloists)
- Spiegel Im Spiegel (‘Mirror In The Mirror’) Arvo Pärt (b. 1935, Estonia) with Ariella Caira (cello) and Matthew Golesworthy (piano)
- The Deer’s Cry Arvo Pärt (b. 1935, Estonia)
- Pseudo-Yoik Jaakko Mäntyjärvi (b. 1963, Finland)
- Heyr, Himna Smiður (‘Hear, Smith Of Heavens’) Þorkell Sigurbjörnsson (1938-2013, Iceland)
- Pater Noster (‘The Lord’s Prayer’) Igor Stravinsky (1882-1971, Russia)
- Northern Lights Ola Gjeilo (b. 1978, Norway)
- Northern Lights Ēriks Ešenvalds (b. 1977, Latvia) with Peter Borchers (soloist) and Cherilee Adams (percussion)